NRRI Senior Laboratory Technician
Job opening: 348849
Full Time position in Water Group
• Perform field work on aquatic systems in support of projects (10%).
• Train new employees in field and laboratory procedures, ensuring adherence to safety standards (5%).
• Manage and prepare water, algae, and sediment samples in a laboratory setting (60%).
• Perform data entry and maintain accurate databases. Keep detailed records of all activities (15%).
• Coordinate and maintain laboratory equipment and supplies, including purchasing and repair (10%).
• Organizational skills and an eye for detail (e.g., measuring sample weights, entering data in spreadsheets); demonstrated ability to organize work and information from multiple activities.
• Prior participation working in diverse teams, being respectful of other team members and being able to navigate interpersonal relationship dynamics on teams; ability to communicate and work closely with team members of many disciplines in both a laboratory and outdoor setting.
• Laboratory experience in an academic or similar setting.
• Microsoft Office (especially Excel & Word).
• Physical ability to work long hours in the laboratory or outdoors in all weather conditions.
• Educational and employment history demonstrating responsible performance in past positions.
• Valid U.S. driver’s license and ability to pass University driving background check
• Bachelor’s degree with a focus on the sciences.
• Experience in aquatic studies.
• Writing skills to prepare reports and procedures that describe work methods.
• Experience with graphics packages (CorelDraw, Photo Paint, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.)
Complete applications must include:
- A current resume/curriculum vitae.
- Contact information for 3 professional references.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
THIS IS AN AFSCME TECHNICAL BARGAINING UNIT POSITION
Applications from current AFSCME employees must be submitted by July 8, 2022 for bargaining unit consideration. External candidates may submit applications during this time, but applications will only be considered after the AFSCME bargaining unit consideration date.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
Please note: All employees at the University of Minnesota are required to comply with the University’s Administrative Policy: COVID-19 Vaccination and Safety Protocol by either providing proof of being fully vaccinated on their first day of employment, or complete a request for an exemption for medical exemption or religious reasons. To learn more please visit: https://safe-campus.umn.edu/return-campus/get-the-vax
Working at the University:
At the University of Minnesota, you’ll find a flexible work environment and supportive colleagues who are interested in lifelong learning. We prioritize work-life balance, allowing you to invest in the future of your career and in your life outside of work.
The University also offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Competitive wages, paid holidays, and generous time off
- Continuous learning opportunities through professional training and degree-seeking programs supported by the Regents Scholarship
- Low-cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- University HSA contributions
- Disability and employer-paid life insurance
- Employee wellbeing program
- Excellent retirement plans with employer contribution
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) opportunity
- Financial counseling services
- Employee Assistance Program with eight sessions of counseling at no cost
Please visit the Office of Human Resources website for more information regarding benefits.