Job ID: 354021
Location: Coleraine, MN
Job Family: LR-Technical
Employee Class - AFSCME Unit 7 - Technical
About the Job
Summary about the Job:
Perform various laboratory tests following established specialized procedures and techniques related to operating laboratory equipment while maintaining accurate detailed records. Contributes to research planning, execution and close out and ongoing continuous improvement initiatives.
(70%) Be proficient in following established safety and quality procedures while participating in research project planning, execution, and close-out by:
- Always practicing excellent housekeeping to maintain clean and safe work areas.
- Collecting, preparing and/or delivering client research material samples.
- Operating research equipment and processes.
- Performing research analytical tests.
- Operating mobile equipment.
- Assisting with material handling.
- Performing data entry via written logs and/or computers.
- Reporting data using computers.
- Contributing to continuous improvement initiatives: (20%) Perform light maintenance (adjusting belts, replacing wear items, cleaning, painting, etc.) on facilities and/or lab equipment. (10%) Perform other duties as assigned.
Operating Conditions and Physical Job Demands:
NRRI Coleraine’s research labs have several environmental conditions to be aware of including high temperatures, noise, dust, moving equipment, etc. Technicians are required to use various types of personal protective equipment when performing certain tasks including hard hats, safety glasses, safety toed shoes, high visibility vests, dust masks. Technicians must be able to stand/walk during the entire work shift and lift up to 75 lbs.
Salary range: $41,600-$48,796
1. Minimum qualifications include high school graduation or the equivalent with some science courses AND two years of relevant academic or work experience may be substituted.
2. Knowledge of general manufacturing processes, analytical methods, equipment maintenance and repair.
3. Strong written and oral communication skills.
4. Computer skills with working knowledge of MS Office.
1. Two-year college degree in the sciences or two years of work experience in University, Federal, State or Corporate Research Laboratory or two years of work experience in the taconite or wood products industries.
2. Collaborating and working effectively in a diverse team environment and research setting.
3. Ability to simultaneously work on multiple projects and duties.
4. Excellent interpersonal skills; detail-oriented, strategic thinker, self-motivated and strong organizational skills.
About the Department
Situated near Minnesota's minerals and forestry resource-based industries, NRRI Coleraine Lab is a world-renowned center for minerals and biomass conversation and their connections to land, forest, amd water resources. NRRI Coleraine prossesses the facilities, equipment, and high qualified staff to conduct applied research for private and public sector clients in Minnesota, North America and around the world. The lab has a wide range of equipment for conducting studies at both laboratory (grams/pounds) and pilot scales (tons). Laboratory and pilot scale capabilities include mineral characterization, mineral processing, metallurgy, and biomass conversation to energy and agronomic products.
Working at the University
At the University of Minnesota, you’ll find a flexible work environment and supportive colleagues who are interested in lifelong learning. We prioritize work-life balance, allowing you to invest in the future of your career and in your life outside of work.
The University also offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Competitive wages, paid holidays, and generous time off
- Continuous learning opportunities through professional training and degree-seeking programs supported by the Regents Scholarship
- Low-cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- University HSA contributions
- Disability and employer-paid life insurance
- Employee wellbeing program
- Excellent retirement plans with employer contribution
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) opportunity
- Financial counseling services
- Employee Assistance Program with eight sessions of counseling at no cost
Please visit the Office of Human Resources website for more information regarding benefits.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click here and follow the instructions. Reference Job ID: 354021. You will have the opportunity to complete an online application for the position. Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.
Complete applications must include: ● A letter expressing interest, availability, experience, and strengths as they relate to the position ● A current resume/curriculum vitae ● Contact information for three professional references.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
***THIS IS AN AFSCME TECHNICAL BARGAINING UNIT POSITION***
Applications from current AFSCME Employees must be submitted by 03/06/2023 for bargaining unit consideration. External candidates may submit applications during this time, but applications will only be considered after the AFSCME bargaining unit consideration date.
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U:http://diversity.umn.edu.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
Please note: All employees at the University of Minnesota are required to comply with the University’s Administrative Policy: COVID-19 Vaccination and Safety Protocol by either providing proof of being fully vaccinated on their first day of employment, or complete a request for an exemption for medical exemption or religious reasons. To learn more please visit: https://safe-campus.umn.edu/return-campus/get-the-vax